Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 18

Ten days. It's been ten days since I last posted. I am exhausted. The past week was nuts.
My sister and I made the cakes from hell for our mother's birthday yesterday. The process involved two chiffon jelly rolls, filled with raspberry preserve, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds and lining two 6 cup round bowls. Said bowls were then filled with a vanilla bavarian cream (home made custard with whipping cream). These were left to set overnight. Unmold onto cake plates, then glazed with an apricot glaze. (apricot preserves, strained and thickened with gelatin. Happy birthday, Mom!

Mom's Birthday

We made this thing 20 years ago for her birthday, and she'd been "remembering that cake" so my sister decided that this would be the year to repeat. She WAS surprised. And it WAS good. But it may be another 20 years before THAT process is repeated!

Wednesday was birthday gift shopping day. My sister and I spent the day at Tyson's Corner, collecting "things for the birthday basket". Thursday night was cake making night, Friday night was birthday dinner night. Mom was very happy.

I had to miss my son's Conference Championship Track and Field Meet. DH went to represent us. DS did very well, PR'ing, which is making a "personal record". And beating his old teammate from high school, who now runs for UNC Wilmington. DS was very happy.

Today I pulled all the weeds from the front bed, completely cleaned out the fridge - amazing what a burned out light bulb that breaks when you try to get it out will do. At least I got rid of a ton of really icky old stuff, and it's squeaky clean now!

I also had to clean the floor with a sponge - broken light bulb glass, you know.

We went out for dinner.

3 comments:

Batty said...

It's gorgeous! And it looks like your mom absolutely loves it. Happy Birthday to her (if a bit late), hope that cake tasted as good as it looked.

Jules said...

Wow, that's some cake! I'm afraid to ask for the recipe :o)

Jules said...

Wow, that's some cake! I'm afraid to ask for the recipe :o)